D.C.I. Scanlon from Kent Constabulary arrives to investigate the attack on the Home Office convoy. P.C. Carver pays Vernon Liggett a visit, but he denies any involvement. Scanlon and D.C.I. Meadows interview the warehouse staff, with Liggett on their list of suspects, but when D.C. Lennox goes to his flat, Liggett has disappeared. When one of Liggett's colleagues mentions him drinking with a copper named Jim, Lennox confronts Carver and demands he admit his mistake to Meadows. Insp. Monroe makes Carver go on leave, but when Carver returns to the station to see Meadows he is so drunk he passes out in the yard. Sgt. Ackland and P.C. Hollis hide him in the FME's room and then in a van, but he ends up in the Elcott Arms where Lennox drags him out and forces him to confess. Tracing a call Liggett made from the pub to a hotel, Lennox poses as a taxi driver to drive their suspect to a nightclub where he and his associates are arrested in an SO19 raid.
- Mark Wingett as P.C. Carver
- Simon Rouse as D.C.I. Meadows
- Colin Tarrant as Insp. Monroe
- George Rossi as D.C. Lennox
- Trudie Goodwin as Sgt. Ackland
- Peter Ellis as Ch. Supt. Brownlow
- Graham Cole as P.C. Stamp
- Jeff Stewart as P.C. Hollis
- Suzanne Maddock as P.C. Rickman
- Samantha Robson as P.C. Hagen
- Joy Brook as D.C. Holmes
- Iain Fletcher as D.C. Skase
- Gregory Donaldson as D.C. Proctor
- Jane Wall as P.C. Worrell
- Guest starring Sean Blowers as D.C.I. Scanlon.