When Rachel Booker, a dancer at one of Howard Fallon's clubs, is brutally attacked, DS Beech is outraged when his mobile number is among her possessions. DS Boulton and DS Stanton find the main suspect is Warren Askew, who was obsessed with Rachel, but he doesn't seem to have been responsible. When Boulton tries calling the phone numbers Rachel had, he is shocked when Beech answers the phone. Beech makes an excuse that he chatted up up Rachel in a bar months earlier, and begs Boulton to overlook that piece of evidence. When Boulton and Stanton's enquiries begin to lead them to Ray Bazzini, Fallon's right-hand man, Beech plants evidence to frame Askew who is arrested for Rachel's murder when she dies, and who hangs himself in his cell.
The teaser sequence is captioned "previously..." but is all new.
- Billy Murray as DS Don Beech
- Clara Salaman as DS Claire Stanton
- Russell Boulter as DS John Boulton
- Shaun Scott as DI Chris Deakin
- Chris Simmons as DC Mickey Webb
- Eric Richard as Sgt Bob Cryer
- Jane Wall as PC Di Worrell
- Joy Brook as DC Kerry Holmes
- George Rossi as DC Duncan Lennox