The Sweet Smell of Failure is the 11th episode of The Bill. An elderly couple found thieving from residential houses puts Ackland and Carver on the trail of a bogus perfume factory.
A tip in a counterfeit perfume case pulls in two very old aged pensioners who appear to have been pinching things since WWII. But after leading Carver and Ackland in a merry chase it turns out they aren't the real culprits.
(Episode Cast: in credits order)
- Eric Richard as Sgt. Cryer
- John Salthouse as Det. Insp. Galloway
- Trudie Goodwin as W.P.C. Ackland
- Mark Wingett as P.C. Carver
- Colin Blumenau as P.C. Edwards
- Tony Scannell as Det. Sgt. Roach
- Peter Ellis as Chief Supt. Brownlow
- Jon Iles as Det. Con. Dashwood
- Gary Olsen as P.C. Litten
- Linal Haft as Johnny Bloomfield
- Anthea Holloway as Lily
- Charles Lamb as Fred
- Cheryl Hall as Sadie
- Wolfe Morris as Mr. Doffman
- Jackle White as Pensioner
- Leonard Fenton as Mr. Lee
- Sheila Collings as Woman in Flats
- Michael Mawby as Ron
Goofs, Bloopers & Continuity ErrorsEdit
- Despite selling his Ford and replacing it with a green Vauxhall two episodes earlier, D.I. Galloway is once again driving a gold Ford. Perhaps it was filmed out of sequence?
- Last use of the original opening titles featuring the plodding feet. The tradition is, however, continued in the closing credits until 1998.
- The only actors to appear in every episode of series 1 are John Salthouse, Eric Richard, Mark Wingett, Trudie Goodwin, Colin Blumenau and Gary Olsen.
- Final regular appearance of P.C. Dave Litten (Gary Olsen).
- The episode was also released on the Series 1 DVD Boxset released by Network in the UK in 2005.
- The Series 1 DVD Boxset was released in North America in 2007.