The Chief Super's Party is the 23rd episode of The Bill.
Ch. Supt. Brownlow is throwing a farewell party for his retiring clerk. D.I. Roy Galloway questions D.S. Burnside when he gatecrashes the party, and Burnside admits that he fancies W.P.C. June Ackland. D.C. Mike Dashwood realises that the scotch being poured at the bar is stolen, and Galloway asks Ackland to keep the remaining bottles aside as evidence.
Despite warnings from the D.I. and the Chief Super, D.S. Ted Roach drives home extremely drunk and crashes his car through a fence into a garden. Knowing he'll be sacked if he's found out, Roach sleeps on a friend's boat overnight while he sobers up, but spots the coat thieves on the docks when he awakens, and the men are arrested when they are found stuck in a cold storage warehouse. Roach also sweet-talks the man whose garden he crashed into by offering to get him into the Special Constabulary. P.C. Reg Hollis grasses on Roach to Brownlow, in the hope of getting the clerk's job. Desperate to save his sergeant's career, Galloway gets Dashwood to trace the stolen scotch to Mr. Brownlow's golf club, and manages to get Roach off the hook.
(Episode Cast: in credits order)
- At this point in the series, the only people to appear in every episode have been John Salthouse, Eric Richard, Mark Wingett, Trudie Goodwin and Colin Blumenau.
- Last appearance of the original Sun Hill Police Station.
- Third and final guest appearance of Christopher Ellison as Det. Sgt. Burnside before he joins the regular cast in series 4.
- Gary Olsen returns for his final appearance as P.C. Dave Litten.
- Final appearances of P.C.s Pete Muswell (Ralph Brown) and Abe Lyttleton (Ronny Cush).
- Internet Movie Database at the