DC Rod Skase is left fuming when a court witness changes his testimony at the last minute after their child is threatened by the suspect Peter Gough, allowing Gough to go free. Meanwhile Ashley Palmer, the son of Gough's girlfriend, goes missing. Skase is positive that Ashley has been abducted by Gough and sets out to prove it. Investigating with PC Nick Klein, Skase questions Ashley's friend Jason Toomey, who says he saw Ashley get into a car the previous night. Skase speaks to Toomey alone and leads Toomey into describing Gough's car and giving his number plate. They search the car and arrest Gough on drugs charges. Gough's girlfriend admits that Ashley knew about Gough's involvement in drug dealing and was threatening to tell his father. When blood is found in the car, it looks like Skase was right.
However, Klein is doubtful and speaks to Toomey again. He gives a different description of the car to the one he gave Skase. When Ashley's father says it was his car that the boy got into, Skase's case starts to fall apart. Confined to his desk by a furious DCI Meadows, Skase works out that Ashley's friend Danny Gough knows he's on a boat, the "Josie-May". He races to the dock and is horrified to find that Ashley has died after fighting with Danny. DCI Meadows vows to charge Skase with perverting the course of justice - whether he does or not, Skase knows his career in the police is over and quietly walks away from the scene.
- Iain Fletcher as D.C. Skase
- Rene Zagger as P.C. Klein
- Simon Rouse as D.C.I. Meadows
- Ray Ashcroft as D.S. Daly
- Samantha Robson as P.C. Hagen
- Billy Murray as D.S. Beech
- Gregory Donaldson as D.C. Proctor
- George Rossi as D.C. Lennox
- Eric Richard as Sgt. Cryer
- Tony O'Callaghan as Sgt. Boyden
- Lisa Geoghan as P.C. Page
- Matthew Crompton as P.C. Harker
- Colin Tarrant as Insp. Monroe
- Graham Cole as P.C. Stamp
- Jane Wall as P.C. Worrell
- Andrew Paul as P.C. Quinnan
Final appearance of DC Rod Skase (Iain Fletcher).
The closing credits roll over the final scene, which fades to black. There is no music.