"Save the Last Dance for Me" is the 51st episode of The Bill.
A dangerous escaped prisoner is expected to visit his girlfriend in Sun Hill, and a massive surveillance operation is in place to catch him when he turns up. A bored relief waits in the canteen with PT17, and P.C. Ramsey suggests a little game of cards to pass the time. Sgt. Peters and D.C. Carver wait in a van, and while Peters is answering a "call of nature", Carver arrests a boy for damaging cars. The best view of the girlfriend's house turns out to be from a dance school, where D.C. Dashwood and W.P.C. Ackland are waiting, and end up having to take part in a class. The jealous husband of Dashwood's dance partner storms in and attacks them, taking Dashwood's gun, which fortunately is unloaded. Ch. Insp. Conway nearly blows the operation when his impatience causes him to break radio silence, despite D.S. Roach's warnings, but his radio call is just the diversion Dashwood needs to overpower his assailant.
(Episode Cast: in credits order)
- Eric Richard as Sgt. Cryer
- Trudie Goodwin as W.P.C. Ackland
- Jon Iles as D.C. Dashwood
- Tony Scannell as D.S. Roach
- Ben Roberts as Ch. Insp. Conway
- Mark Wingett as D.C. Carver
- Larry Dann as Sgt. Peters
- Nula Conwell as W.P.C. Martella
- Nick Reding as P.C. Ramsey
- Ashley Gunstock as P.C. Frank
- Colin Blumenau as P.C. Edwards
- Robert Hudson as P.C. Smith
- Elizabeth Seal as Janet Irvine
- James Duke as Mr. Donaldson
- Tamsin Heatley as Vera
- Richard Walker as Joe
- Jeff Ward as Beastie Boy
- Louis Modish as Pianist
- First appearance of the Metropolitan Police's Armed Response Unit - known as PT17 (Personnel and Training 17). The unit will later be renamed SO19 (Specialist Operations 19), and will make many more appearances on the show.
- Internet Movie Database at the