Middleman is the 220th episode of The Bill.
D.S. Greig, D.C. Carver and D.C. Lines arrest a man for burglary and possession of drugs. D.I. Burnside recruits him as a snout. The information leads to "Operation Middleman", as part of a strategy to catch the "middle men" in the drugs trade, operating between the major importers and the street dealers. Ch. Supt. Brownlow invites D.I. Wray from the Drug Squad to observe the operation, much to the annoyance of Burnside. The operation - to bust a crack house - appears to be a stitch up for both Burnside and the suspects arrested.
- Eric Richard as Sgt. Cryer
- Christopher Ellison as D.I. Burnside
- Peter Ellis as Ch. Supt. Brownlow
- Clive Wood as D.I. Wray
- Ben Roberts as Ch. Insp. Conway
- Mark Wingett as D.C. Carver
- Jon Iles as D.C. Dashwood
- Kevin Lloyd as D.C. Lines
- Andrew Mackintosh as D.S. Greig
- Tony Scannell as D.S. Roach
- Larry Dann as Sgt. Peters
- Andrew Paul as P.C. Quinnan
- Graham Cole as P.C. Stamp
- Huw Higginson as P.C. Garfield
- Vikki Gee-Dare as W.P.C. Ford
- Seeta Indrani as W.P.C. Datta
- Mark Powley as P.C. Melvin
- Colin Alldridge as P.C. Young
This is the first of a two-part story, which continues in Corkscrew.
First appearance of D.I. Gordon Wray (Clive Wood).