P.C. Jim Carver wakes up to find himself in bed lying next to the dead body of Clare Sullivan, an aged prostitute. He is utterly distraught, and, not knowing what to do, he takes Clare's husband's clothes and leaves the scene.
P.C. Hagen and P.C. Hollis discover the body while searching for Jim. Jim's warrant card is found at the scene, and Jim's tie is around Clare's neck. Ex-Sun Hill D.C.I. Burnside is assigned to the case – something he does not relish as he is also Jim Carver's friend.
Carver, meanwhile, is suicidal, considering throwing himself in the Thames. Later, he falls at the knees of a priest, confessing to his "crime". However, after seeing his reflection and realising what he has become, he checks in to a hostel for the homeless, where he is located by Burnside who has to arrest him on suspicion of murder.
Burnside confronts Carver and tells him he will get him off the charge if he promises never to drink again. During the interview, Carver claims to have been suffering from blackouts and can remember very little. However, there is hope when Carver is unaware that Clare's husband, Johnjo, has also been murdered and his body stuffed down a rubbish chute.
But then a call comes in – a man has been found who has attempted suicide. The man is covered in blood yet not injured, and he used to be a lodger with the Sullivans. When Burnside and Insp. Monroe visit the man in hospital, he quickly confesses to both murders.
- Mark Wingett as P.C. Carver
- Chris Ellison as D.C.I. Burnside
- Samantha Robson as P.C. Hagen
- Jeff Stewart as P.C. Hollis
- Colin Tarrant as Insp. Monroe
- Alex Walkinshaw as P.C. Smith
- Lisa Geoghan as P.C. Page
- Joy Brook as D.C. Holmes
- Gregory Donaldson as D.C. Proctor
- Suzanne Maddock as P.C. Rickman
- Jane Wall as P.C. Worrell
- Trudie Goodwin as Sgt. Ackland
- Peter Ellis as Ch. Supt. Brownlow
- Ben Roberts as Ch. Insp. Conway
- Rene Zagger as P.C. Klein
- Graham Cole as P.C. Stamp
- Andrew Paul as P.C. Quinnan
- Eric Richard as Sgt. Cryer
- When P.C. Carver is booked in at Sun Hill after his arrest, he identifies himself as James Michael Carver, born 14 February 1962--as he did when arrested on suspicion of drink-driving in the 1990 episode A Clean Division.