Juliet is the 1650th episode of The Bill.
Dave and Polly are searching for Shauna Russell, a young woman with Down's syndrome who has been reported missing by her mother, Annie and sister Natalie. They finally find her in an underground car park but are concerned by her dishevelled state. Despite protests from Annie, her daughter is examined by the FME. Shauna complains of feeling sick and when gently questioned it soon becomes obvious that she is pregnant. A test confirms this and the FME tells Cullen that Shauna is probably three or four months gone but is unsure how much of her condition she actually understands. It cannot yet be determined whether she was assaulted or the intercourse was consensual. The news of the pregnancy leaves Annie dumbstruck whilst Natalie is disturbed by the thought that her sister may have been raped. In interview Shauna is reticent but mentions John, a fellow member of a club she attends, whom she describes as rude. However, when Cullen meets John his sulky manner points to a misunderstanding of the word "rude" and the search for the culprit continues.
This was the first time that an actor with Down's Syndrome appeared on the show. She was reported to have had a major impact on the cast and crew. A spokesman said she was really good and she knew her lines better than the others: "She arrived word-perfect on the first day." The storyline was controversial because the episode shows Anna-Marie, 19, dealing with sexuality as well as her plight.
- Andrew Paul as PC Dave Quinnan
- Ged Simmons as DI Alex Cullen
- Lisa Geoghan as PC Polly Page
- Trudie Goodwin as Sgt June Ackland
- Tania Emery as DC Kate Spears
- Karl Collins as DC Danny Glaze
- Ben Peyton as PC Ben Hayward
- Ben Roberts as Ch Insp Derek Conway
- Paul Usher as PC Des Taviner
- Jeff Stewart as PC Reg Hollis
- Natalie Roles as DS Debbie McAllister
- Suzanne Maddock as PC Cass Rickman