Corkscrew is the 221st episode of The Bill.
Following the failure of "Operation Middleman", it is suspected that information must have been leaked. Ch. Insp. Conway believes the leak must be in CID, while D.I. Burnside thinks that his snout stitched him up. D.I. Wray from the Drug Squad is sent to talk to the snout, much to Burnside's displeasure.
At Barton Street, Wray interviews the suspect arrested during the raid, but he won't talk in the station. Wray contrives to have the suspect taken to hospital, where he reveals to Wray and Burnside that the snout is being protected by Barton Street's Sergeant Coles. A surveillance operation (codenamed "Operation Corkscrew") is mounted at Paddington station to catch Coles.
Later, Wray tells Burnside he has been promoted to D.C.I. and will be stationed at Sun Hill.
- Christopher Ellison as D.I. Burnside
- Peter Ellis as Ch. Supt. Brownlow
- Clive Wood as D.C.I. Wray
- Ben Roberts as Ch. Insp. Conway
- Kevin Lloyd as D.C. Lines
- Jon Iles as D.C. Dashwood
- Mark Wingett as D.C. Carver
- Andrew Mackintosh as D.S. Greig
- Tony Scannell as D.S. Roach
- Nula Conwell as W.D.C. Martella
- Mark Powley as P.C. Melvin
- "He made a sudden movement, which led me to believe he was about to assault me. I struck out in self-defence. Write that down, Alistair--they believe your notes"-- D.I. Burnside, after deliberately punching his informant.