Common Language is the 1568th episode of The Bill.
A young Russian girl leads P.C. Smith out of a nightclub, where he is promptly attacked by three men. Despite Smith's protests, Supt. Chandler assigns D.I. Cullen to investigate the assault. They track down the Russian woman, Natasha Ivanova, through a language school which seems to be recruiting students to work as prostitutes. Natasha is desperate as her visa is about to expire, and her sister has disappeared. Her sister is found murdered, and Smith realises the men responsible for her death and his assault are linked to a man from his old army unit.
- The episode refers to the events of Blurred Around The Edges, where an army friend of P.C. Smith is arrested for weapons smuggling.
- The "Russian" sisters are said to be from Kiev, which is in Ukraine, not Russia.
- Alex Walkinshaw as PC Dale Smith
- Rene Zagger as PC Nick Klein
- Ged Simmons as DI Alex Cullen
- Steven Hartley as Supt Tom Chandler
- Eric Richard as Sgt Bob Cryer
- Simon Rouse as DCI Jack Meadows
- George Rossi as DC Duncan Lennox
- Graham Cole as PC Tony Stamp
- Jane Wall as PC Di Worrell
- Suzanne Maddock as PC Cass Rickman
- Holly Davidson as PC Roz Clarke